Monday, January 10, 2011

Stop

People can change. They just don’t because it’s easier not to. We’re always waiting for our lives to begin, like figuring we’ll be someone else someday. But what are we waiting for? All we have is now. Don’t run from this.
- One Tree Hill


This entry is about stopping. To stop being a slug throughout life. To stop wishing a better guy would come along to replace the one you're pining after. To stop picking fights with "best friends" about the stupid things; who saw who over break, who they're dating, etc. To stop bitching about those people from high school you don't like and to stop bitching about those who you could care less about. To stop whining about your job because the hours and pay suck and to stop whining because this isn't the ideal job you pictured for yourself 3 years ago. To stop throwing yourself a pity party because you wanted bigger, better things for yourself. Just stop. Because things are not going to change unless you make them.


I'm the first one to complain. I whine. I bitch, I make my opinions heard. And as a New Year's resolution, I'm going to try to cut back. At least, I'm going to try to cut back on complaining about the useless things. I'm not going to rant about old friends who 1.) I don't care about and 2.) don't care about me. I'm not going to pick a fight with people on Facebook or Twitter, just because I feel like being an annoyance. I'm not going to snub people in public on purpose, just because we're not friends; I'm going to be a civilized component in society. I'm going to remind myself of those who truly matter and have always mattered and surround myself with those who will bring me up, not bring me down.

School is starting again and we are all going back to our old cliques and lifestyles. We're going to wake up, wish we were back asleep, slowly get ready and moan about the morning. We're going to class, where we're going to complain about how hard the syllabus is and how demanding life is becoming. We're going to whine about the poor food choices on campus or in our rooms and sulk. We are going to blame the internet for distracting us from our homework and bitch about staying up late to complete assignments. 

Seriously. Stop.

The challenge-- my challenge: start out small. Try going one day without whining about school. A few comments here and there about the work load are excusable, but try to stop the large scale bitching. Try to go a day without wishing things were completely different, whether that be school life, love life, family life, etc.
One day.

Can you do it?
I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment