Friday, August 10, 2012

10 Songs I'm Currently Obsessed With

10 Songs I'm Currently Obsessed With:

(don't you dare judge my weird, eclectic, time-transcending taste)

1.) "Hallelujah I Love Her So" by Hugh Laurie.
Yes, this song is a cover performed by none other than Dr. Gregory House himself. Who knew that British actor with the snarky American accent could sing? Or that his musical talents are thoroughly charming? I love this Ray Charles song and this upbeat cover is right on par with the original. Well...it's mighty close.

2.) "The Sound of Sunshine" by Michael Franti & Spearhead.
Am I on the islands? This song is perfect for summer and never fails to put me in a good mood. In fact, it's on my "Happy" playist on iTunes. Every time it plays, I transport myself to the beach and imagine a nice, fruity alcoholic drink in my hand.

3.) "Have A Little Faith In Me" by John Hiatt.
This song was also covered by Jon Bon Jovi and Lea Michele for the "New Year's Eve" movie soundtrack. I like to pretend I have someone in my life of sentimental value that I could sing this song to, but really I don't and I just like to belt it in the car.

4.) "All The Same" by Jay Nash.
An easy-going, acoustic vibe. A little bit of indie, a little bit of rustic, lyrical happiness. Came recommended from a great friend, and now I recommend him to you.

5.) "You Really Got A Hold Of Me" by She & Him.
I absolutely love this song, especially when Smokey Robinson sings it. It's been a classic in my household since I was a child and reminds me of all my Motown sing-a-longs. This cover is perfect -- Zooey Deschanel's raspy voice and soulful projections for this song are on point and the soft guitar strums make it a delight to listen to.

6.) "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf.
The only reason this song is on here is because of my wonderfully ridiculous family and their karaoke rendition of this hit. Especially the baseball play-by-play. I've been trying to upload the video onto Facebook for months but apparently the 8 minute video is too large and in charge for audiences. But I promise you, once I can figure out how to show the world that lovely clip, it will be on this blog.

7.) "Runaround Sue ft. Greg Bans" by G-Eazy.
This song starts with the classic song by Dion, which I happen to love. (What can I say, I love the oldies.) However, this rap/cover and twist is so addicting, I can't get enough of this song. I tweeted it before, and I'll say it again: watch out, Mac Miller and Sammy Adams. G-Eazy is about to start an uprising. Chill vibe, good lyrics -- all the makings for a decent rap song and cruising/crowd favorite.

8.) "Peoples" by Cheers Elephants.
This Philly-based group has such a smooth vibe, great harmony and the steady beat really get you tapping along. Found them randomly on the internet but I'm a fan. Definitely worth a listen.

9.) "All Your Life" by The Band Perry.
I love my country, I'm not going to lie. And I've really taken a liking to The Band Perry. I think the banjo is a real seller for me, but I also love the vocals from this sibling band. I also hope to repeat these lyrics to someone someday. The hopeless romantic in me continues to dream. 

10.) "Get Low" by Waka Flocka Flame, Nicki Minaj, Tyga & Flo Rida.
Reminds me of my best friends, this summer, and just our random pool house parties. The techno beats and the guest appearances are what sells this song, but the memories I have associated with it trump all.


As always, I'm open to new artists, songs, and opinions. Share what you think and who you think is worth a listen!



And as always . . .



Food for Thought:
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
- Victor Hugo

No comments:

Post a Comment